Pages

17 January 2015

Things That Define Me

I sure cannot and will not be limited by one label.

There are many roles a woman has to play in her lifetime. Some she enjoys and some.... she just performs. We play our roles based on our priorities in life. Right now, my two most important roles are those of a mother and a daughter.

As a mother - helping my teens in their studies, listening to their emotional unloading after school/a hard day at the office, shopping online for the family, chauffeuring them to and from their activities, helping my writer-daughter edit her stories, coaxing my son to study for his board exams, dividing their internet-time with accurate amount of justice, finalising a common breakfast, lunch and dinner menu that everyone is happy with... and so on.. These sometimes-stressful, mostly enjoyable duties are a few things that define my duty as a mother.

As a daughter - sharing my Mom's memories of her childhood and adulthood at the extended breakfast sessions, listening to her rant and rave about her TV serial characters, admiring her just-bloomed precious orchid/color-changing rose etc., being awestruck at her crafting capabilities of turning any waste product into a beautiful, useful thing, discussing news/incidents, lazing on her bed and listening to the family history/geography, relishing her home-baked stuff, serving her meals on time with that extra care to ensure that she will relish them... In her old age, few things can light her eyes up, make her wave her hands around animatedly describing something, and I take it upon myself to do everything that I can to enable that.

Since my only brother and his family are far away in Canada, my role of a sister, much to my chagrin, is limited to listening to his joys and sorrows every weekend on Skype.

Apart from these two main roles, I have a multitude of interests.

I would love to be a part-time volunteer at a social service centre. I would like to spend at least one day a week at a geriatric care unit. I play sports ranging from badminton to tennis, cricket and football.
I would like to give my all to the special children I am working with right now. If I am able to help them be self-reliant, I will consider myself blessed.

I am planning to open a library with the numerous children's books I have so that the children in the colony I live in realise the importance of reading, add to their knowledge and vocabulary. Someday, they might realize what a treasure trove books can be, what an asset cultivating the reading habit is.

I also like to dabble around in the kitchen, mixing this with that, chopping up a storm and creating a recipe for my family to relish. I am passionate about finishing the half-read books on my shelf, downloading those numbers which take me back to a happy childhood and also those which get my feet tapping.

I write. I have written poems; some published, some tucked away in a notebook, some yet to be penned down from my heart. Every day I continue to write new ones.

My days seem to be too short and too full to indulge in every one of my passions, everything that gets me going, gets my heart pumping. And I’d like to think that these are the things that come together, in bits, by pieces, to make me the person I am today. But to try and limit me to just one label? Hmmm... Not possible.


This post is a part of #UseYourAnd activity at BlogAdda in association with Gillette Venus.

No comments:

Post a Comment